Pages

Want To Sell Your Coat?

On: Friday, December 6, 2013



  I recently had a really bizarre experience at one of our local thrift stores. As usual on Fridays I comb our local thrift stores for records or cassette tapes for my collection. (I will explain that later in another post.) As I was looking through some records I noticed I was being watched. Now normally this kind of thing doesn't bother me but this time it was different. There was a boy, I would say around 10 or 11 standing right next to me, you know, in my "comfort zone", staring at me. I tried to ignore this boy but he just stood there.
 I slowly turned to look at him & he said "Do you like your coat?".
Stunned by what he asked I politely said "yes, I do".
 I turned back to continue my search through the old vinyl when I heard him say, "Where did you get your coat?".
 I had to think about this one. I replied "I did not buy it, my wife got if for me as a present"
Again the boy asked, "Do you like your coat?"
 I thought,"what the fuck? Do I like my coat? What kind of question is that?" I politely said " why yes I do"
 I turned away to find the boy still staring at me. I really hoped he would just go away but, no, he had to ask another question.
"Do you want to sell your coat", the boy asked
Ok, now I was bit freaked out. I began looking around to see if anyone was near by that the boy belonged to. I did not see anyone paying any interest in the boy.
It took me some time to think about a reply and all I could come up with was, "no, I don't think so"
 The boy, looking blank, just kept staring at me. I decided I had enough. As I turned to leave I noticed that the boy had disappeared. Vanished without a trace. I needed to leave quickly before he showed up again.
 As I was leaving, I thought to myself, "man., that was just creepy. Who would ever ask some stranger if they wanted to sell their North Face coat, at a thrift store, to a ten year old boy?" I think I will be more reluctant to visit that thrift store for awhile.

0 comments on "Want To Sell Your Coat?"

Post a Comment